Monday 17 March 2014

Fibre Fun on the Weekend!

Had some seriously lovely fun on the weekend with all my fibre friends - the Harmonious Homestead Fleece & Fibre Festival was fantastic! 


Thank you Clare & Rob!

I even got to continue the fun into Sunday by doing some impromptu Spinning & Plying 101 with my friend Katie who was gifted an antique spinning wheel which she lovingly glued back together and brought over so that we could get it running again after 30 years!

Brand new to spinning & plying but look at her go! Well done Katie!

This is her first plyed yarn - baby alpaca and some hand-painted boucle - lovely!
Completely bitten by the spinning bug (as we all are!) she later sent me this - her second plyed yarn!

After a coat of oil this morning she looks as good as new - a local wheel made years ago in Armstrong, British Columbia!




She spins like a little dream again :)

And what have I been up to?

Well, I tested my Wee Hoot pattern to see if I could use the exact same directions and make a Grande Hoot and ...

... it worked!




Grande Hoot was knit on 8mm DPN's using a bulky yarn that I hand-dyed in the crock pot with pencil rovings and them felted into yarn (easy to do if you yank it out of the hot crock pot and plunge it into cold water to rinse - only be careful not to felt the strands together in the process!)

The top and ears was some leftover bulky yarn  called "Grouse" 
from Sweet Georgia Yarns and some hand-dyed yarn from Nickelbee Studios for the beak.

I am quite happy with how he turned out and was about to add him to the Festival sale pile when ...




... someone fell in love with him :)

So Grande Hoot will be staying at our home but is easily made with the Wee Hoot pattern and some bigger yarn and needles :)

Happy Fibre-ing Everyone!

xo nikki



No comments:

Post a Comment