Monday 7 April 2014

Fleece Washing with Melissa!

I had another wonderfully fibre filled weekend! Yay!

I'm really loving this brief lull in between hockey season and soccer season - I'm going to get in as much as I can, while I can! LOL!

Firstly my fibre sister Melissa Nasby (of SoulFibre Studio) https://www.facebook.com/SoulFibre came over for a visit on Saturday and helped me wash fleeces. 

Now that's a true friend that will come over, roll up her sleeves and get down and dirty with washing raw fleeces with you!

This is Sunshine - a lovely sheep with an amazing amount of colours in her fleece! drying in the sun :)



But it wasn't all work and no play, of course we also visited, and spun ... 

This is Melissa's GORGEOUS hand spun on her super-cool Ashford Country wheel - a one-of-a-kind, just like her!



And I was super lucky because I got to spin up one of Melissa's batts that she brought with her (squee!) and had so much fun with it!


 





Melissa also taught me how to make these super cute mini-batt muffins - how cool would it be to mix and match a whole bunch of different ones together in an art yarn!!


It was an awesome day! Thank you Melissa :)

The following day I tackled a beautiful lamb fleece - this is Ambrosia drying on the wood box - she must have frolicked and gambolled about a LOT, sweet little girl, because it was rivers of dirt that I washed out of her coat.


So very nice, and incredibly important to me, that the fleeces I purchase come from happy and well-looked after sheep - and this really proves it with Ambrosia and wee Sunshine :)

Thank you Katie, a most loving and wonderful shepherdess!

And I also had a companion this day as well, though he was a tad less helpful with the chores, he was nonetheless wonderful company on those few brief moments when I could sit down with a cup of tea.


Not a bad weekend's worth of productivity ... 



And there was even time for a bonfire in the yard with the family and celebrating Baby Koala's birthday picnic :)


A weekend filled with friends, family, fun and fibre - what more could a girl ask for?

xo nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment