Friday 4 April 2014

I Heart Drop Spindles!

Spent some time on break today teaching (the other) Nikki to spin on a Drop Spindle - and being the incredibly fast learner that she is, it was a total breeze.

I'm happy to report that she likes it :)

I'm also happy because I got a chance to try out the Kromski Drop Spindle and I really love it!

It's reasonably priced, has a lovely weight and a solid balanced spin - I also really love the rich Mahogany colour that it comes in as well :)

I'm such a sucker for colour ... 


And I finally got a chance to spin up some lovely local fleece on it as well.


Some super soft Shetland (the scrumptious roving!) and a local cross breed Grand Champion fleece that was purchased from our annual Fall Fair here in town (the delicious locks!)


I really like how they are blending together ... and it's one of the reasons that I am still so very fond of Drop Spindles. 

Not only were they the first spinning device that I ever used (or could afford) but they offer fantastic portability for me (try as I might spinning on a spinning wheel in the car is a no-go) and I can play with textures, colours, and spinning styles with ease prior to committing to a full project on my spinning wheel. It's great for sampling fibres while you are out and about to see how they spin up and it really is a treat to use!

Basically I love Drop Spindles!

Is it obvious? 

And after purchasing a few in different weights and sizes I can spin up any size and any style of yarn that I can think of without breaking the bank :)

I think my latest acquisition might be this mahogany Kromski one ...

Have a fabulous weekend everyone and happy Drop Spindling!!

xo nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment